Monday, June 28, 2010

It was totally an accident, but...

We cantered today! For the first time since March, Shorty cantered under saddle.

Granted, my intention was only to walk around the field for fifteen minutes and put him away. He was spooked by one of the other boarders, who happened to walk by carrying a fold-up chair to go sit by the pasture with her horse. Shorty did a neat little rear, buck, bolt combo and cantered off on the right lead- his more difficult side.

So, even though this was an accident, I'm glad he did it. I don't condone spooking, but I'm glad he felt well enough and sound enough to pull such an athletic stunt on his own. I was initially surprised, but the boarder later reported that I had a big smile on my face as Shorty bolted through the pasture. Silly boy!

I did check his legs and hooves just in case he injured himself. All clear! No bumps, bruises, heat or swelling... yet. I rubbed him down with lintiment just to be sure. He was wearing his Easy Boots at the time, so his feet are fine, too.

:)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on Cantering! I need to sit down and read your blog, but I noticed in the one below you mentioned your horses back legs going where ever. My horses legs did that, and then was diagnosed with EPM. It's very prevalent in race horses. Not sure why! Not trying to freak anyone out, but I've learned more in the past 5 months about vet care than I'd care. Probably much like you!

    Now to go read the rest and probably put my foot in my mouth....

    www.wildponybeast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete